Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) with Indian National Academy of Engineering as the Knowledge Partner has launched “SERB – INAE Online and Digital Gaming Research Initiative” to leverage Digital Gaming research and industry in India. It is notable that digital online games bring in more revenue compared to other entertainment industries, are well integrated, especially with the younger population as a part of contemporary culture, thus making it a fast-growing sector globally.
Advances in digital services, virtual technologies and faster internet connectivity (5G) and advances in mobile technology platforms, will usher online gaming tools for education, entertainment and utility purposes. Focused studies with online and digital gaming tools could be applied to board and video games, puzzles, ability enhancement games, and online content that will aid development of digital games centered on ethos and values.
Given the strength of Indian R&D community in software development, computer visualization, human-computer interface, we are suitably poised to take online and digital games for education, learning, entertainment, Indian culture, and arts.
Under this initiative, well-defined proposals on the following thematic areas concerning online and digital games are being invited (For details, click here < SERB Digital Gaming Initiative-Call for Proposal>):
Category (I): R&D in Learning, Educational, and Leisure Online Gaming Platforms
Development of game-based interactive tools that offer and enhance creative insights for a focused application by improving the design, user interface and interactive experience.
Category (II): Immersive Game Prototypes, with a focus on Indian Culture & Values
Indigenous gaming research should aim to reflect Indian ethos and values while making newer digital games appealing and useful for a wide spectrum of end-users at both national and global levels.
Category (III): Collaborative Technical Design Process: Creation of SERB Game Labs
This area of research provides an opportunity for cooperation between academia, start-ups, and industry by creating playable, real-world demonstrations of state-of-the-art concepts and research. This call endeavours to create SERB Gaming Labs in institutions where collaborations would germinate between academic researchers and industries so that true translation could occur.
Who can apply?
- Scientists in regular service from educational and research institutes/ laboratories/ universities, start-ups and industries. More than one academic partner may be allowed.
- Proposals ideally form a consortium and should be an industry-academy (including start-ups) collaboration with IP creation as a priority.
- Investigators already having a SERB project are also welcome to apply.
- It is desirable that teams be multidisciplinary involving technologists, designers, historians and experts in other areas of humanities and social sciences.
- More than one Industry and/or more than one Investigator can be associated in a project.
Download Documents and Forms
- SERB Digital Gaming Initiative-Call for Proposal
- Proposal Format
- SERB_Project Norms_Overhead charges
- PI CO-PI_CV
- Format Endorsement Certificate
- Certificate from the Investigator
- OM-Research Fellowship-JRF-SRF-RA
- OM-Manpower other than JRF SRF RA
- Kindly read each document carefully before filling the form.
- Kindly include cover letter. Please mention in your cover letter if the you are applying under General/SC/ST and enclose relevant certificate to the effect if applying against SC/ST category.
- The form should be complete in all respects. Incomplete forms will not be considered
- The proposal will not be considered if any information provided is found to be incorrect
- The PMAC’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the proposal will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- PI’s of the accepted proposals will be intimated through mail.
- Application should be a single PDF with all attachments enclosed in the same document.
Online Submission: Apply